Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Bachelorette Party Cakes

I did these 2 cakes in back to back months, just a few weeks apart. I was definitely just winging it with the first cake. I made several cakes, round AND square, to have room for error! The first time, I carved the cake out free hand;
But with my second cake, I decided to trace the shape of the cake pans onto a big piece of paper, so I could sketch the shape before I got to carving cakes. I made a template by cutting out the final shape & then laid the paper over my cakes while I carved. This method made the process much smoother, & the cake corners were even.
In my google research on these particular type of cakes, I found a woman who'd used stainless steel bowls from Ikea to get the right form. And if you know me, you know I love any excuse to go to Ikea. :)
I was able to find exactly what I needed & the bowls really are perfect for this! 
I hadn't used multiple colors for the same surface before, so I had some overlapping issues with the skin tone/clothing colors.
But I am still really happy with the way the cakes turned out, & the clients were so thrilled, which always seals the deal for me :) I think in the future, I will make the cake's shorter, I think the length was a little too long for these.



1 comment:

  1. Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Many thanks! cupcakes little rock ar

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...