Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I want to make fun cakes

Last October I was making a birthday cake for my youngest daughter, Emerson. And I thought, "I really want to make fun cakes for my kids". At that particular moment, it was too late to try anything other than doodle some swirls onto the chocolate frosted cake, as her birthday was the following day. But I decided that the next time I made a cake, it would be really fun.
I googled fondant cakes and found a million how to's. So when February rolled around, and it was time to make a cake for my [turning] 3 year old, Kelsie, I made my first fondant cake. I was fortunate enough to find an excellent site with a marshmallow fondant recipe and video, Piece-A-Cake. 
I made a huge mess, but had a lot of fun, and was proud and impressed with myself in the end.

 I didn't have any cookie cutters, or shape cutters, but I used a metal ramekin to cut the circles. Looking back, I didn't roll the fondant thin enough, it was way too thick, but it looked good & the kids loved it! Peyton, my oldest daughter, immediately begged me to make a cake this way for her birthday in April. So we looked at images online that night to pick out her design & I made a wish list on Amazon for every single cake making tool I wanted! :)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...