Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Zebra Stipes, Leopard Spots & Rainbow Cake

April came quickly and Peyton & I had come up with a fabulous cake for her. She wanted 3 tiers (which was fine because we were expecting several friends). And she wanted different flavors/colors in each tier. I have to say that I put more work into this cake than I originally planned! But it turned out really fantastic! You can just google "rainbow cake mix" and find hundreds of images and recipes. But, here, I'll tell you how....you make a yellow or white cake mix, separate it into several bowls, and dye each bowl of batter a different shade. Here's the tricky part, you have to pour the batter directly in the center of the pan, one shade after the other, directly on top of each other, and QUICKLY. Don't worry, they won't blend, each new color you pour will push the previous color out, creating rings. It's tricky b/c you have to be quick & not drop any outside the current color you're working on. But it's doable!

Once it's baked, the cake will still have the darker color on the outside, but the inside looks awesome!
The rainbow cake was in the bottom tier, with a chocolate filling. The center tier had a really rich, delicious chocolate cake and white chocolate filling, and the top tier was a yellow cake with hot pink buttercream filling.

I filled & iced the cakes and let them sit in the fridge while I colored my fondant. (Of course now, I color my fondant when I make it, even though the tip I'd used on Kelsie's cake said to color it the next day). I've found it doesn't make a difference & saves time!
Doing the detail on this cake was particularly fun, because nothing lad to be lined up or spaced out perfectly. I found a terrific tutorial on youtube for the zebra stripes.  I watched this as I worked & it was perfect! I didn't like any of the leopard/cheetah spots I found when I googled the design, so I just made up my own, they weren't too bad. I did stripes for the top tier, which I also cut at an angle to give it the mad hatter effect. It turned out perfect for a first try...of course since then, I haven't figured out how to master that trick. Soon, soon.

I had to keep the cake separated to keep it in the fridge as long as possible, as I've read the fondant needs to be kept cool. But I took it out, put it together & added the balls & rope around the bottoms of the tiers, as well as the 7's on the wire. I need to find better wire next time, this was too flimsy & I couldn't get it looking straight. This is the cake that made me decide I could have a small business out of this craft & I'm well on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...